Under the supervision of the Investigators and Project Manager, the PrEP Navigator provides ongoing care coordination, counseling, and supported referrals to HIV-negative people who inject drugs and are eligible to use PrEP for HIV prevention. The person in this position will work to empower participants to make decisions for their own health and help reduce barriers to PrEP uptake and adherence as part of a research study.
Provides support to research study participants who are interested in starting PrEP
- Meets with participants one-on-one to build rapport and help with problem-solving and assess and improve motivation and interest in PrEP care
- Follows an intervention manual to conduct counseling sessions (training will be provided) to help participants navigate challenges with PrEP uptake and adherence
- Maintains established guidelines surrounding confidentiality, data security and monitoring, and ethical accountability in all interactions with study participants
Provides assistance with logistical aspects of PrEP-related care including uptake and adherence
- Provides supported referrals to PrEP and other services as needed by individual participants
- Assists participants with planning for and addressing financial and logistical challenges including insurance coverage and transportation
- Helps participants enroll in PrEP co-pay assistance or other related programs
- Reminds participants of scheduled PrEP care and intervention appointments
- Supports participants in obtaining and staying in PrEP care
Maintains participant files in REDcap database
- Documents notes from each manualized intervention counseling sessions and interim check-ins
- Provides feedback on best practices for implementation
- Ensures that all participant interactions are documented in a timely manner and follows detailed study protocols surrounding confidentiality, data security, and monitoring
Works with the Research Assistant and Project Manager to retain research participants
- Identifies and implements strategies to maintain contact with study participants
- Attends weekly meetings with PrEP for Health study team
- Communicates with study sites and study team to improve participant recruitment and retention efforts
- Works professionally with relevant community based organizations and community members
Performs other related duties as required
- Demonstrated ability to take responsibility for individual assignments and meet deadlines while working as part of a team
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multitask and prioritize
- Excellent communication (both written and verbal) and computer (Microsoft Word, Power-Point, Email, Zoom) skills
- Willingness to regularly travel between Boston, Cambridge, and Lawrence for recruitment and study visits
- Ability to reliably commute to the study site in Lawrence, MA on a weekly basis
- Willingness to be trained in motivational interviewing and intervention counseling techniques
- Ability to work harmoniously and effectively with colleagues, patients, clients and vendors across the spectrum of diversity, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, color, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, socio-economic status, national origin and immigrant status, religious or spiritual identity, disability (physical, mental, emotional and developmental), veteran status, and/or limited English proficiency.
- Willingness to contribute towards Fenway’s efforts in becoming an anti-racist organization and promoting a culture dedicated to ongoing development in service of humility, equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging, where differences are acknowledged and valued.
Experience/Other Preferred Skills:
- Bilingual (English and Spanish; written and spoken)
- Prior experience working in a health navigator role highly desired
- Prior work experience or current or past educational training within clinical or social service environments
- Prior experience with REDcap database software preferred
- Experience working with populations affected by substance use and at high risk of HIV infection highly desired
- Familiarity and comfort working with people who inject drugs and community-based harm reduction agencies
- Experience working in an ethnically, culturally, and racially diverse environment preferred
- Reliable transportation for traveling between Boston, Cambridge, and Lawrence
We offer competitive salaries, and for those who qualify, an excellent benefits package; including comprehensive medical and dental insurance plans, and a retirement plan with employer match. We also provide 12 paid holidays, paid vacation, and more. LGBTQIA+ identified persons, Black, Indigenous, and other people of color (BIPOC), and individuals from other historically underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Highly experienced individuals may be compensated at a higher rate.
Internal ID: TFI-23-FT-20